How to Apply
The St. Paul’s Housing Choice Voucher Program Waiting List will be accepting online applications from Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 8:00 am through Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 12:00 pm.
Applicants can apply at www.waitlistcheck.com/STPAUL using a computer, tablet or smartphone with 24-hour access during the opening timeframe.
3,500 applicants will be placed on the St. Paul PHA’s waiting list through a random drawing of all applications received. 95% of placements will be to applicants whose head of household or spouse lives, works, or attends school in St. Paul, or to applicants who have been deemed “homeless” through Ramsey County’s Coordinated Entry System. The remaining 5% will be awarded to any other applicant.
There is no advantage to applying early- the application is available 24 hours per day during the open period.
The Housing Choice Voucher Program provides rental assistance to households with very low incomes. In order to qualify, annual gross household income cannot exceed:
- 1 person = $35,000
- 2 persons = $40,000
- 3 persons = $45,000
- 4 persons = $50,000
- 5 persons = $54,000
- 6 persons = $58,000
- 7 persons = $62,000
- 8 persons = $66,000
The PHA does not provide any emergency shelter. All of the PHA’s public housing units are occupied and all Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher subsidies are in use, with long waiting lists for both programs. (The Section 8 waiting list has been closed since 2007.)
Families in Ramsey County who have no housing options and are seeking emergency overnight shelter should call Street Works Coordinated Entry at 651-291-0211 or 651-215-2262. The staff at Street Works Coordinated Entry will assess whether the family is eligible for emergency shelter or supportive housing in one of the project-based voucher programs and make a referral if possible.
Single adults who are experiencing homelessness and are seeking emergency shelter can call the Dorothy Day Center, 651-647-2350 or go to 183 Old 6th Street in St. Paul.
Youth (14 to 24 years old) who are experiencing homelessness and are seeking resources for shelter can call Safe Zone, 651-224-9644 or go to the Safe Zone Drop In Center at 130 East 7th Street in downtown Saint Paul, located in the Metro Square building.
Project-Based Voucher Opportunities
The PHA has assigned some Housing Choice Vouchers to specific apartments in housing programs that provide supportive services to families, single adults or youth who are experiencing homelessness. The vouchers are called “Project-Based Vouchers”. Each program keeps its own waiting list and when there is a vacancy, they refer the next person or family to the PHA to verify the applicant’s eligibility for Section 8.
Up to 544 units of existing 4,550 units of tenant-based assistance. This program attaches the rent subsidy to a specific development or certain apartments in a development that has been recently rehabilitated or newly constructed. If the tenant moves (with or without a voucher), the unit continues to be subsidized. The goals of the program include contributing to the upgrading and long-term viability of the city's housing stock; increase the supply of affordable housing; integrate housing and supportive services; and promote the coordination and leveraging of resources.
- The PHA Board has approved 24 PBV projects that are active, with a total of 467 PBA units.
- The PHA Board approved 3 other PBV projects with 47 units that did not go forward: HUD denied 2 projects (Breaking Free and Jendayi Place) and 1 project was cancelled (Edgerton Lofts).
- HUD has approved 22 of the 24 projects, total 449 units; 2 projects with 18 units are pending (PPL West 7th and Renaissance Box).
- 21 projects with 401 PBV units are currently under contract.
- Supportive Housing: 15 projects with 201 units are under contract; 1 project with 48 units (Lexington Commons) has HUD approval and is in development; 2 projects with 18 units (PPL West 7th and Renaissance Box) are pending.
- Click here to view the PBV Propery List.