- Approximately 4,550 units of subsidy, including various types described below.
- $41 million annual operating budget (FY 2017), including rent payments to property owners (landlords) and PHA costs for administering the program (inspections, verifying participant's eligibility, calculating rents and subsidy amounts, etc.
- Participants pay minimum of 30% of their income for rent and utilities.
- Click here to view a notice about rent increase information.
- Click here to view a list of payment standards and utility allowances.
Mainstream Program for Persons with Disabilities/ Disability Vouchers
117 units of subsidy: This program is designed to provide housing assistance to very low income families with adults with disabilities.
Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation Single Room Occupancy (SRO)
81 units: This program provides funding through the PHA to Catholic Charities to subsidize 75 Single Room Occupancy (SRO) apartments at Mary Hall, 438 Main Street in downtown St. Paul, for single adults who have experienced homelessness. The Salvation Army's "Booth Brown House Foyer", 1471 Como Avenue, provides 6 apartments for homeless youth. Catholic Charities and The Salvation Army refer potentially eligible applicants to the PHA for these units.
Project-Based Voucher Program
The PHA currently subsidizes 515 rental units in 24 projects with project-based vouchers (PBVs). This program attaches the rent subsidy to a specific development or certain apartments in a larger development. If the tenant moves (with or without a voucher), the unit continues to be subsidized. The goals of the program include contributing to the upgrading and long-term viability of the city's housing stock; increasing the supply of affordable housing; integrating housing and supportive services; and promoting the coordination and leveraging of resources.
- The PHA Board has approved 24 PBV projects that are active, with a total of 467 PBA units.
- The PHA Board approved 3 other PBV projects with 47 units that did not go forward: HUD denied 2 projects (Breaking Free and Jendayi Place) and 1 project was cancelled (Edgerton Lofts).
- HUD has approved 22 of the 24 projects, total 449 units; 2 projects with 18 units are pending (PPL West 7th and Renaissance Box).
- 21 projects with 401 PBV units are currently under contract.
- Supportive Housing: 15 projects with 201 units are under contract; 1 project with 48 units (Lexington Commons) has HUD approval and is in development; 2 projects with 18 units (PPL West 7th and Renaissance Box) are pending.
- Click here to view the PBV Propery List.
Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing Program (VASH)
176 vouchers: This program provides rental assistance for homeless veterans who receive case management and clinical services provided from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). VA staff refer potentially eligible veterans to the PHA.
A limited number of VASH Vouchers are still available to help homeless veterans in St. Paul. Contact the PHA (telephone: 651-298-5158) for general information. For more specifics, contact the VA's Community Resource and Referral Center (CRRC) at (612) 313-3240.
Family Unification Program (FUP)
100 vouchers: This program promotes family unification by providing Housing Choice Vouchers to “families for whom the lack of adequate housing is a primary factor in the separation, or the threat of imminent separation, of children from their families". Some of the vouchers can be issued to youths 18 to 24 years old who left foster care at age 16 or older and "lack adequate housing", which includes youth experiencing homelessness. Ramsey County Community Human Services staff refer potentially eligible clients to the PHA.